Wet macular degeneration is a serious condition that could lead to blindness. If you are diagnosed with this condition, it is important to seek treatment right away to help prevent vision loss. There are a number of different treatments available. Dr. Jay Rigney in Owasso, OK, is an eye doctor and wet macular degeneration specialist who can help you choose the right treatment for your individual needs.
What Is Wet Macular Degeneration?
Wet macular degeneration is a condition that affects the central vision. The macula is the part of the eye responsible for central vision. Wet macular degeneration occurs when abnormal blood vessels grow underneath the retina. These abnormal blood vessels can leak fluid or bleed, causing damage to the macula. This condition can lead to vision loss and even blindness.
There are two types of macular degeneration, wet and dry. Wet macular degeneration is the more serious of the two because it can progress quickly and cause severe vision loss. Dry macular degeneration is the most common type of macular degeneration, but it usually progresses slowly.
Symptoms of Wet Macular Degeneration
The symptoms of wet macular degeneration can come on suddenly or develop gradually over time. The most common symptom is a change in vision. This may include:
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty reading
- Needing more light to see
- Decreased color vision
- A dark or empty spot in the center of your vision
- Straight lines appearing wavy
- Objects appearing distorted
- Difficulty recognizing faces
If you experience any changes in your vision, such as blurred vision, it is important to see an optometrist as soon as possible.
How Our Optometrist Can Help
Dr. Jay Rigney will perform a comprehensive eye exam to diagnose wet macular degeneration. Once a diagnosis has been made, Dr. Rigney will work with you to create a treatment plan. There are a number of different treatment options available for wet macular degeneration and vision correction. These include:
- Anti-VEGF Injections: Anti-VEGF injections are a common treatment for wet macular degeneration. VEGF is a protein that promotes the growth of abnormal blood vessels. Anti-VEGF injections help to stop the growth of these abnormal blood vessels.
- Laser Therapy: Laser therapy is another treatment option for wet macular degeneration. Laser therapy helps to stop the leakage of fluid from abnormal blood vessels.
- Photodynamic Therapy: Photodynamic therapy is a treatment that uses light and a photosensitizing drug to close abnormal blood vessels.
Find a Wet Macular Degeneration Specialist at Dr. Rigney Vision
If you are diagnosed with wet macular degeneration, it is important to seek treatment right away. Wet macular degeneration can progress quickly and cause severe vision loss. Dr. Rigney Vision in Owasso, OK, is here to help you thrive and get through this difficult time. Schedule an appointment with our eye doctor. Call us at (918) 272-3937 for treatment and vision correction.