Protecting Your Vision with Diabetic Eye Exams
As an experienced optometrist in Owasso, OK, we are committed to providing comprehensive eye care, especially for those dealing with diabetes. At Dr. Rigney Vision, we specialize in diabetic eye exams and eye disease management, ensuring our patients can access the best care. This article will discuss the importance of diabetic eye exams and how they can help protect your vision.
Understand Diabetic Retinopathy
Diabetic Retinopathy is a significant concern for individuals with diabetes. The common eye disease can lead to vision loss if not properly managed. This condition occurs when high blood sugar levels damage the blood vessels in the retina, causing them to leak fluid or bleed. Over time, this damage can result in abnormal new blood vessels, further impacting your vision.
Importance of Regular Diabetic Eye Exams
We cannot emphasize the importance of regular diabetic eye exams for individuals with diabetes enough. These exams are crucial because they allow us to detect early signs of diabetic retinopathy and other eye diseases, even before you notice any symptoms. Early detection and intervention can prevent vision loss and help maintain overall eye health.
What to Expect during a Diabetic Eye Exam
When you visit Dr. Rigney Vision for a diabetic eye exam, we will comprehensively evaluate your eye health. These exams include the following listed below:
- Visual acuity test - This test measures your ability to see clearly at various distances.
- Dilated eye exam - We will use unique eye drops to dilate your pupils, allowing us to examine the retina and optic nerve for any signs of damage.
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT) - This imaging test provides a detailed retina view, helping us identify any swelling or abnormalities.
- Fundus photography - This imaging technique captures high-resolution images of the back of your eye, allowing us to monitor any changes over time.
Eye Disease Management and Treatment
At Dr. Rigney Vision, we offer personalized eye disease management plans to help you maintain your eye health. Depending on the severity of your diabetic retinopathy, treatment options may include the following:
- Blood sugar control - Proper blood sugar management is essential in preventing the progression of diabetic retinopathy.
- Medications - In some cases, we may prescribe medications to help reduce inflammation or prevent the growth of new blood vessels.
- Laser treatment - Laser therapy can seal leaking blood vessels and slow the growth of new ones.
- Vitrectomy - In advanced cases, surgical removal of the vitreous gel may be necessary to prevent further vision loss.
Schedule a Diabetic Eye Exam with Dr. Rigney Vision
If you have diabetes, don't leave your eye health to chance. Instead, schedule a diabetic eye exam with our experienced optometrist in Owasso, OK. At Dr. Rigney Vision, we are committed to helping you protect your vision through comprehensive eye care and eye disease management. Call us at (918) 272-3937 to book your appointment and take the first step towards safeguarding your eyesight.